The Heart of the Kingdom
Scripture: Mark 7:1–23, Matthew 7:1–5, Matthew 12:33–37, Psalm 139:23–24, Ezekiel 36:26–29
THE HEART OF THE KINGDOM
- The Pharisees oppose Jesus through the disciples on the issue of ritual purity.
- Jesus counters the Pharisees by attacking the source of their authority — “the tradition of the elders.”
- Jesus teaches that people are defiled by the actions and attitudes that come out of the human heart.
Matthew 7:1-5, Matthew 12:33-37, Psalm 139:23-24, Ezekiel 36:26-29
- “Living” by human tradition rather than the will of God runs the risk of two spiritual dangers: legalism & hypocrisy.
- My external attitudes and actions are the direct result of my internal heart.
- The solution to the defiled human heart is the radical transformative power of the kingdom of God.