Preacher: Brandon Babcock Series: Mark: The Forgotten Gospel Scripture: Mark 13:1–37
Understanding the Chapter:
Mark 13:1-37, Daniel 11:31, 12:11, Isaiah 13:10, 34:4, Daniel 7:13-14
- The main subject of the chapter is the fall of the Temple.
- Foreign armies overtake the Temple
- Birth pains
- Desolating Abomination
- Prophetic images of cosmic catastrophe
- The fall of the Temple is the sure sign that God had vindicated Jesus as the true Messiah.
- The whole issue is left to God’s control.
What Does This Mean For Us?:
- In the midst of uncertainty and the unknown, God is in control.
- The passage helps us understand the sort of people that followers of Jesus are called to be.
Those who take seriously the call to …
- Trust the words and warnings of Jesus.
- Watch out and be alert.
- Be faithful to God in a compromising world.
other sermons in this series
To All Creation
Preacher: Daniel Lanning Scripture: Mark 16:9–20, John 20:11–18, Luke 24:13–49, Matthew 28:16–20
Hope in the Darkest Hour
Preacher: Daniel Lanning Scripture: Mark 15:40– 16:8
The Glorious Death of King Jesus
Preacher: Brandon Babcock Scripture: Mark 15:16–39